Volunteer at the Shoalhaven Zoo
People come to volunteer at Shoalhaven Zoo for many reasons. Some want to learn what it takes to be a zoo keeper while others just want a fun day out in the fresh air working with some of our amazing animals. Whatever your motivation, if your enthusiastic, willing to learn what it takes to be a keeper and committed, then the Shoalhaven Zoo volunteer program is the place for you.
For your time and dedication volunteers are rewarded with knowing that they are making a valued contribution to their community whilst learning real and practical life skills. It is also a great way to show potential employers that you are dedicated and hardworking.
Our volunteers help out with a variety of tasks for example:
- Cleaning out our animal enclosures- which of course involves cleaning up poo
- Preparing food for our animals
- Helping with enclosure maintenance
- Interacting with visitors within the park
- Helping with public presentations
So if you want to join the Shoalhaven team you must meet the following requirements:
- You must be 15yrs or older to be a volunteer, People under the age of 18 must have a parent or guardians approval
- Be prepared to work rain hail or shine
- Be prepared to volunteer one consistent day a week for the hours of 8am – 5pm.
The next step:
Print off and fill out the application form below and then bring it in to the Zoo and our volunteer coordinator will get back to you to arrange a trial day for your volunteer placement.
A one time non-refundable fee of $100 is required for participation to go towards the cost of your training and any equipment you will need.
If accepted into the program you will start an induction period of four weeks in which you must reach a level of competency deemed acceptable by our senior keeping staff.
Once you make it through your induction period you can then enjoy all the benefits of our volunteer program.